Akopia Akopia Services

RE: [mv] (forw) Re: [ic] Interchange + PostgreSQL results in error 505's (premature end of script headers)

******    message to minivend-users from "Warren Odom" <warren-odom@stenocall.com>     ******

>******    message to minivend-users from Mike Heins <mikeh@minivend.com>
******

>I removed all NOT NULL except password, tried Interchange, and it failed.
>When I removed that last one, it worked.

A mystery, sho 'nuff.  Of course when it worked for me I was using psql, not
the Perl interface to Postgres, so maybe there's a clue there.

>UserDB does record-checking independently, therefore there should be no
>need for NOT NULL settings in the database. I understand the use of NOT
NULL
>for referential integrity purposes, but in a database-independent
>environment like Interchange it is difficult to deal with. This type
>of checking is really designed for data-specific programming.
>
>If someone can come up with a good reason why I should not specify no
>NOT NULL in Interchange tables, I will certainly listen. But I cannot
>see why we should have to worry about it.

Yeah, sounds like you have the bases pretty well covered.  Although useful
as a "safety net" (especially in an uncontrolled environment), table- and
field-level constraints such as NOT NULL can be a bother, particularly if
they cause confusing error messages that can't be trapped.

           -- Warren

-
email with 'UNSUBSCRIBE minivend-users' in the body to Majordomo@minivend.com.

Search for: Match: Format: Sort by: