[Interchange-announce] Interchange 4.8 release now available
Tue Aug 14 04:36:00 2001
We are proud to announce the public release of Interchange 4.8.
This is the best Interchange we have ever produced, and it has many,
many, improvements and fixes over 4.6 while maintaining a high degree
Here are the highlights:
* New pre-forked server mode uses Apache-style multiple server dispatch
to dramatically increase performance (up to 7X!) on busy systems.
* New SOAP protocol support allows two-way communication with all sorts
of other web "objects".
* The new "Foundation" demo catalog simplifies many aspects of HTML for
generating catalogs. Uses CSS to define colors, font styles, and other
parameters. Includes components that drop in with the page editor to
provide configurable feature additions on a page-by-page basis.
* Transactions now fully supported, including in order routes.
* Improved autonumbering support allows use of SQL database sequences or
auto_increment fields, as well as built-in Interchange autonumbering.
* New attributes and logic allow failover to a second database server.
* Standard payment gateway support for 5 major payment gateways, with
support for multiple instances of accounts, common parameters for easy
gateway changes, and much more. Explicit [charge ...] tag can implement
returns, voids, split payments, and other special handling.
* Encryption is much more automatically handled.
* Instituted VAT and extended taxing, including UI support.
* New tag [assign] can override subtotal, shipping, handling, and salestax.
* Improved option handling. Any item can have multiple and infinitely
* [tree] tag allows you to build product display trees and display
* New [restrict] tag allows only certain tags to run within a region.
* Many password/user checking improvements, better logging.
* Login screen adds choice of German, Danish, Dutch, or Swedish language.
* Added a "wizard" which allows step-by-step definition of many parts of
a standard catalog, e.g. shipping, tax definition, and payment gateway.
* Improved page and template editors allow creation of templates
and definition of new components with auto-generated component menus.
* RPM specfile reworked to build 3 RPMs: core and foundation skeleton
(architecture-independent) and foundation live demo (i386).
* Debian packaging extensively reworked and improved.
* Runs on Windows if Cygwin toolset and Perl are installed.
* Runs on Mac OS X when Perl and requisite modules are installed.
There are many more changes and additions. See the WHATSNEW file for an
extensive account of changes.
You can download Interchange 4.8.1 here:
Thanks to the Interchange community for continual contributions in the
form of bug reports, patches, code contributions, and ideas. As always,
we look forward to feedback on the interchange-users list.
The Interchange Team