[interchange-biz] Re: [ic] hosting Info

paul jordan interchange-biz@icdevgroup.org
Tue Nov 12 22:41:01 2002

> > >    Yes I did ask for it and this is a good start.   From
> a hosting perspective
> > >it looks like webhostxl.com has the best rates.  Unless I'm
> > >overlooking something.   I wouldn't mind hearing comments on
> > >this from anyone and everyone.
> >
> > I don't want to labour the point, but there's an old saying:
> > "you get what you pay for" -
>
>     My words exactly.  Actually my words exactly of a couple of
> days ago.  So many companies with wildly varying prices
> and features that I was hoping to generate some lively conversation
> to learn some as well as get some personal opinions and experiences.
> A couple of days ago there were two responses about two different
> hosting companies and the price difference was like 10 - 15x.
> Though I do appreciate you get what you pay for, some times,
> why is it they are so vastly different.  What am I not seeing, maybe
> there has been some negative experience, or something more appropriate
> along the lines of;   If you use provider XYZ be warned you wont be
> able to do this or that.  Or, for example, that provider may offer
> a free shared SSL but good luck using it with IC.  Maybe some
> share some bumps from some of the lesser experienced ICers.

Hi Jon,

I kinda cleaned up the thread a little, it was getting messy :)

My only shared experience WRT IC would be imhosted.com. The relationship
ended bad, about 8 months ago.... at that point in time I would not
recommend them.

I now use Ed Lafrance newmediaems.com. He collocates my server. He is
VERY IC centric, and insists on tested clean software combinations. He
is very good, but he is not $9.99 a month.

One thing I realized only after hooking up with Ed, and leaving inhosted
was the fact the Cpanel really messes things up. Now that I have shell
access, I would not know how to do it without shell access.

Advice:
try to stay away from Cpanel
try to get shell access

Following these will definitely make you more productive.

Advice:
Exude confidence
pluck your eyebrows

Follow these, and you will definitely get more chicks.

8-)

Paul