[interchange-biz] Re: [ic] hosting Info

paul jordan interchange-biz@icdevgroup.org
Tue Nov 12 23:29:01 2002

> paul jordan wrote:
> > My only shared experience WRT IC would be imhosted.com. The
> relationship
> > ended bad, about 8 months ago.... at that point in time I would not
> > recommend them.
> >
> > I now use Ed Lafrance newmediaems.com. He collocates my
> server. He is
> > VERY IC centric, and insists on tested clean software
> combinations. He
> > is very good, but he is not $9.99 a month.
> >
> > One thing I realized only after hooking up with Ed, and
> leaving inhosted
> > was the fact the Cpanel really messes things up. Now that I
> have shell
> > access, I would not know how to do it without shell access.
> >
> > Advice:
> > try to stay away from Cpanel
> > try to get shell access
> >
> > Following these will definitely make you more productive.
[snip]

>     Thank Paul,
>
>     Now we're getting somewhere.  I appreciate your comments.
> I've not looked at imhosted.com. Will certainly consider your
> comments there.  I have looked at newmediaems.com a few
> times but they are a bit pricier, but will not rule it out.
>
>     You say stay clear of cPanel and I've certainly seen a lot of
> comments/questions/issues come up on  interchange users
> but what if you have both telnet/ssh and cPanel ?
>
>     Unfortunately I'm struggling with confidence and have in stead
> been pulling my hair out . . .  ha but this is fun :)
>
> Jon

Well, remember I said "try" and stay away. ssh and Cpanel may not be so
bad. I think what the issue is, is that Cpanel and IC fight for
permissions.

I highly recommend:

Linux::Plesk::Interchange

Plesk is very clean and straight, and light. It gives you full control
without the bells and whistles, that at least for me, I never used.

I suppose if you go for shared, then it is different becuase they have
to try and give you level or performance no matter what. For me, and
having a dedicated server, it kinda makes you stay away from
surpulfolous memory sucking 3-d mamma jamma graphical graphics and
doodads.

As for Ed, yeah he is a little higher, but he is also one of the more
reasonable priced consultants, is part of the devgroup, knows IC, and
would know (your install), if you needed help. That is what made me ask
him for hosting.

Here are some people that have posted to the list over the last year WRT
hosting:

			www.carlc.com		sales@carlc.com
			www.hotconnect.net	sales@hotconnect.net

We also host Interchange web sites. You can view our plans
www.nixhosting.com/hosting.htm .

Add prometheusmedia.com for everything but the kitchen sink.

PaymentOnline.com also hosts interchange,

Virtual Server Only:
         websitecreations.net    info@websitecreations.net
         hostroute.com   info@hostroute.com
         vervehosting.com        sales@vervehosting.com