[interchange-biz] Re: [ic] hosting Info

Jonathan Clark interchange-biz@icdevgroup.org
Wed Nov 13 05:04:01 2002

> > > My only shared experience WRT IC would be imhosted.com. The
> > relationship
> > > ended bad, about 8 months ago.... at that point in time I would not
> > > recommend them.
> > >
> > > I now use Ed Lafrance newmediaems.com. He collocates my
> > server. He is
> > > VERY IC centric, and insists on tested clean software
> > combinations. He
> > > is very good, but he is not $9.99 a month.
> > >
> > > One thing I realized only after hooking up with Ed, and
> > leaving inhosted
> > > was the fact the Cpanel really messes things up. Now that I
> > have shell
> > > access, I would not know how to do it without shell access.
> > >
> > > Advice:
> > > try to stay away from Cpanel
> > > try to get shell access
> > >
> > > Following these will definitely make you more productive.
> [snip]
>
> >     Thank Paul,
> >
> >     Now we're getting somewhere.  I appreciate your comments.
> > I've not looked at imhosted.com. Will certainly consider your
> > comments there.  I have looked at newmediaems.com a few
> > times but they are a bit pricier, but will not rule it out.
> >
> >     You say stay clear of cPanel and I've certainly seen a lot of
> > comments/questions/issues come up on  interchange users
> > but what if you have both telnet/ssh and cPanel ?
> >
> >     Unfortunately I'm struggling with confidence and have in stead
> > been pulling my hair out . . .  ha but this is fun :)
> >
> > Jon
>

> Well, remember I said "try" and stay away. ssh and Cpanel may not be so
> bad. I think what the issue is, is that Cpanel and IC fight for
> permissions.
>
> I highly recommend:
>
> Linux::Plesk::Interchange
>
> Plesk is very clean and straight, and light. It gives you full control
> without the bells and whistles, that at least for me, I never used.
>
> I suppose if you go for shared, then it is different becuase they have
> to try and give you level or performance no matter what. For me, and
> having a dedicated server, it kinda makes you stay away from
> surpulfolous memory sucking 3-d mamma jamma graphical graphics and
> doodads.
>
> As for Ed, yeah he is a little higher, but he is also one of the more
> reasonable priced consultants, is part of the devgroup, knows IC, and
> would know (your install), if you needed help. That is what made me ask
> him for hosting.

I think the point is that there are companies that supply interchange
hosting and ones that also have the expertise to support it.. and support
you when you mess things up.

During your development cycle, its very easy to suggest a wipe of your
catalog and installation of a fresh one, but it takes a bit more knowledge
to be able to figure out what exactly you did wrong, and suggest how to fix
it. This knowledge takes time and effort to learn and therefore has cost the
company in question and is also worth something to you. And what happens
when you want to upgrade to the latest and greatest version of Interchange?
Will a CPanel hosting company be able to help you with this? Are they even
running an up to date stable and secure version?

Maybe a way to help you get a 'good feeling' of the hosting and support
would be to see if the person, or people, behind it have this level of
knowledge and are prepared to share it with you? For example, a quick Swish
search on the mailing list at icdevgroup.org reveals that Ed was posting
answers to people's problems over two years ago - eg:
http://www.icdevgroup.org/pipermail/interchange-users/2000-September/000283.
html

Anyway, as has already been said, you get what you pay for.

best wishes and good luck,

Jonathan
Webmaint.