[interchange-biz] Interchange Project for Bid

nathan@mail.adoptionmedia.com nathan@mail.adoptionmedia.com
Wed Apr 2 13:32:00 2003

I'm with Adoption.com, and we have an e-commerce site AdoptionShop.com that
sells adoption-related books, videos, music, art, etc.  We provide many
different services that help children in foster homes and orphanges to find
loving, permanent homes.  Most of all our services are free community
services, however we make money from sponsors and from selling products.

I have attached with this e-mail specifications for 14 elements that we
would like to outsource to be added or modified in our Interchange shop
AdoptionShop.com.  I would be happy to clarify anything on this sheet
should you have any questions.  I posted about this earlier and had six
individuals interested in bidding on the project.  I am sending this to
them, and also to this list if there are others of you who missed my

(1) Our company is in Gilbert, Arizona in the Phoenix area, but we are open
to this project being done in any location.     However, we will draft
the "work for hire" agreement, and Arizona will have jurisdiction should
there be any disputes.  We're in our 7th year of business.

(2) We are looking for a fixed-price bid for these elements, not a price
range and not an hourly rate.  We are open to you spec'ing the project
better to protect you from "feature creap".  We would need an hourly rate
in the bid for anything above what is included in the final
specifications.  It has to be a fixed-price bid since we have no idea how
quickly you will be able to do it compared to other people, and we need to
be able to compare your total cost to that of the other bidders.

(3) We are are open to dividing the project into multiple stages and paying
upon delivery of each stage.  After work is completed by the developer,
before the project can be considered completed, we will need a three
business-day period of time to test the work.

(4) With your submitted bid, we would expect that each stage would include
a window of time within which the stage will be completed.  There will need
to be a financial incentive for you to deliver the completed work for that
stage within that window of time.  You could structure it as a penalty if
you do not complete it on time, or a financial bonus if it is completed on
time.  This needs to be a significant amount so that is is sufficiently
motivating for the work to be completed in time.  If you bid with a bonus,
the bonus will be included in comparing your bid price to the bid price of
others.

(5) We have put the 14 elements on the attached Word document in priority
order, and would like them completed in that order if possible.  If you did
not receive the attachment, or cannot open it, please e-mail me and I will
send it to you another way.

(6) In your bid, please include 10 hours (or other appropriate amount) of
training time to help get our in-house developers up to speed on what you
have done.

(7) We hope to be making a decision within the next two weeks.  We reserve
the right to select any applicant, and are not restricted to take the
lowest bidder if we are not comfortable with the experience of that bidder.

Please let me know if you have an questions, and submit your bids to me via
e-mail or fax.

Nathan Gwilliam
Adoption Media, LLC
480-446-0500 phone