[interchange-i18n] was is das?

murahashi at ayayu.com murahashi at ayayu.com
Wed Aug 15 21:04:01 UTC 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Jenkins" <djenkins at redhat.com>
To: <interchange-i18n at interchange.redhat.com>
Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2001 11:52 PM
Subject: Re: [interchange-i18n] was is das?

> "Stefan Hornburg (Racke)" wrote:
> >
> > Dave Jenkins <djenkins at redhat.com> writes:
> >
> > [...]
> > OK. Which is the locale for japanese ? jp_JP ?
>
> ja_JP
>

> > > I can write in Kanji in emacs, so I should have no problem...
> >
> > Is there any special treatment needed for the Japanese translation,
> > e.g. can it be stored in plain text files ?
>
> Yes, it can be stored in plain text files-- but remember that these are
> double-bit characters.  Make sure your fonts are in place to read
> correctly.

I tried translate lib/Ui/locales/ja_JP.cfg and it is working well.

> > I run Emacs too, so at least I have the chance to control if
> > your translation looks like Japanese or just ordinary bit
> > crap :-)
>
> Great-- please give me a list of files I need to edit (I can do the
> graphical buttons too)

I also changed some  buttons for Japanese and placed them interchange/ja_JP.
NO Problem.

The problem is that Japanese 2-byte/8bits character not displayed. I suppose
UI
encode 8bit code. For example, edit table page does not display Kanji, but
spreadsheet
edit page shows them well.
I use EUC-jp, not iso-2022-JP which JIS code, 7bit code.

Any suggestion?

There are some other issues such as currency, state, tax, email encoding,

S.Murahashi