[interchange-i18n] Newbie - converting all languages -using multiple tables

Dog Tags dogtags at doglover.com
Tue Mar 12 16:41:00 UTC 2002

 > Dog Tags wrote:
 >

 > > What I want to do is 1) offer up to 6 languages on the site, 2) translate all site navigation and other buttons, and 3) also translate all product data.
 > >

 > You can place translations in locale.txt or in a separate file: yourlocale.cfg (
 > i. e. es_ES.cfg) in yourcat/config. This file can then be included in your
 > catalog.cfg with include statement or incorporated as a Here document.but the
 > locale.txt setting take precedence over individual locale files.
 >
 > Using locale.cfg (one for each translation ) files is more manageable but you have to set tags [L text_no] [/l]
 > inside the pages and [msg text_no] [/msg] inside templates. [LC]...[/LC] tags and translations can also be used inside pages but appear to be less efficient.
 >
 > > This would all be accomplished through a Preferences select box type of thing.
 >
 > The following is from Racke:
 > You can switch the locale by calling (replace de_DE with the proper locale)
 > process/locale/de_DE/page/index
 > instead of
 >
 > The locale is then stored in [scratch mv_locale]
 >

 > > I imagine that the nav buttons and other standard site features can be translated using a text file,
 >
 > No, you have to create button gif images for each language.
 >
 > > but the big thing for me is how to make the product data translated. Should I create a separate table for each language to help with search speed? I'm using mysql.
 >
 > You can add fields in product by deleting the Mysql and recreating from a txt file. I am using GDBM and I edit the txt file and restart Interchange (not sure about MySQL). These fields are then referenced by the DescriptionField defined for each locale in
> catalog.cfg. I didn't bother to do it I just created different products and selected the correct one depending on [L] ..[/L] tags. This is not the recommended method for accounting.

 Thanks very much for your help, Michel. I'll start to work with your suggestions as soon as possible. I'm looking forward to this.

 Thanks, again.

DT

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

Travelocity.com is giving away two million travel miles.
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;3969773;6991039;g?http://svc.travelocity.com/promos/millionmiles_main/0,,TRAVELOCITY,00.html