[interchange-i18n] Shadow.pm v. 1.23 slower than 1.22

Kirill Sapelkin znanie at rawbw.com
Fri Apr 11 21:14:01 UTC 2003

> On Fri, 11 Apr 2003 11:19:32 -0700
> Kirill Sapelkin <znanie at rawbw.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > The Shadow.pm 1.23 works fine, allows us to select different columns
> > in products and specs.txt, except is slower than v 1.22.
> >
> > On my machine, http://localhost/cgi-bin/znanie:
> >
> > Click on Home button
> >
> > with ru_RU locale      with en_US locale            with 1.22 ru_RU
> > 7 secs                    4 sec                            1 sec
> >
> > Search on sku
> > with ru_RU locale      with en_US locale            with 1.22 ru_RU
> >
> > 16 sec                    7 sec                            2 sec
> >
> > We have a mysql products table with about 5000 items and 4 specs for
> > each one in the specs.txt.
> >
> > Is this supposed to be this way? Would it be faster if we used text
> > only database?
>
> The shadow database adds another level of abstraction, so an overhead
> is to be expected. Furthermore, optimization of Shadow.pm isn't planned
> for Interchange 5.0, but certainly possible.

If I could make Shadow.pm 1.22 work, that would be plenty fast.

> Can you please repeat your database settings so I can check for
> possible problems.

Do you mean the Database settings in variable.txt?  They are:

MV_DEFAULT_SEARCH_DB	1	Database
MYSQL	1	Database
ORACLE		Database
PGSQL		Database
SQLDSN	dbi:mysql:znanie	Database
SQLITE		Database
SQLPASS		Database
SQLUSER		Database

Record counts of the tables in the database are:

use znanie;
select count(*) from affiliate;              2
select count(*) from area;                   6
select count(*) from cat;                    43
select count(*) from cat42;                  498
select count(*) from country;                252
select count(*) from eng42;                  498
select count(*) from forum;                  2
select count(*) from gift_certs;             0
select count(*) from inventory;              4467
select count(*) from merchandising;          151
select count(*) from options;                3435
select count(*) from order_returns;          0
select count(*) from orderline;              25
select count(*) from pricing;                39
select count(*) from products;               4469
select count(*) from rproducts;              4469
select count(*) from state;                  201
select count(*) from transactions;           15
select count(*) from tree;                   0
select count(*) from userdb;                 13
select count(*) from variants;               18

If it is something else please tell me.

Regards.

--Kirill Sapelkin znanie at rawbw.com