[ic] panting after the first stair-ramp

Mike Heins mikeh@minivend.com
Sat, 26 Aug 2000 14:37:00 -0400

Quoting Marco Cacchiani (marco@sirius.pisa.it):
> hi all,
>
> After a lot of wandering finally I found MiniVend (InterChange), a really
> impressive piece of software that I'm going to elect as standard for my
> web-based e-commerce applications.
>
> Honors to Mike Heins and Akopia, that let us have such a good tool.
>
> The problem:
>
> After downloading the software, in few minutes I managed to install it on
> one of my linux boxes and in less than one hour I could see the (not so)
> simple catalog at work on the server.
>
> But once the easy stuff was done I faced with the hard reality: MiniVend
> is a really very-flexible/very-powerful tool (and this is a good thing)
> but it is also a very-complex/very-hard-to-configure one.... and when I
> started inspecting the (not so) simple catalog structure and leafing
> through the 245 pages manual I got a little scared.
>
> The (please) request:
>
> What worries me most is that even the so said 'simple' catalog is a very
> complex example.... It helps understanding the complex capabilities of the
> software, but it is a really hard way to understand the essentials.
>
> What I am (finally) asking is if someone can address me (and perhaps many
> others in my situation) to any _really_ simple catalog to toy with.
> Something really basic, where basic features aren't blurred by a complex
> site structure or by elaborate HTML code, and where the databases are kept
> at their very miminum.
>
> Thanks to everyone who will help,
> Hope I'll have my turn to help newbies in future :)

There is the "basic" demo which can be found in the minivend 4
distribution, or now at:

	ftp://ftp.minivend.com/pub/demos/

Just copy the basic-demo-0.01.tar.gz to your system, untar in your
Interchange software directory (/usr/local/interchange, for example)
then run makecat and select "basic" as the template type.

phone +1.513.523.8220 fax 7501 <heins@akopia.com>

If you like what you're gettin', keep doin' what you're doin'. -- Hector