[ic] interchange server is not available....

Doug Alcorn doug@lathi.net
31 Aug 2000 00:00:52 -0400

I have made another sample catalog owned by user 'minivend' (the user
that runs the interchange server) to type 'barry'.  It works, but the
catalog owned by user 'univcell' in univcell's home dir doesn't.  I
did a 'diff -r' between this catalog and the catalog installed owned
by user 'univcell' in univcell's home directory.  The only differences
were where directory names were included in files.  I manually
inspected the permissions on every file in the catalog directory.
They are exactly the same.  Every directory has permissions 2770 and
every file has permissions of 664 except for these files:

-rw-rw----   1 minivend minivend       25 Aug 30 23:48 ./etc/status.universal
-rw-rw----   1 minivend minivend        1 Aug 30 00:47 ./products/merchandising.sql
-rw-------   1 minivend minivend    14750 Aug 30 23:13 ./products/variable.gdbm
-rw-rw----   1 minivend minivend    12470 Aug 30 00:47 ./products/route.gdbm
-rw-rw----   1 minivend minivend        1 Aug 30 00:47 ./products/orderline.sql
-rw-rw----   1 minivend minivend        1 Aug 30 00:47 ./products/userdb.sql
-rw-rw----   1 minivend minivend        1 Aug 30 00:47 ./products/affiliate.sql
-rw-rw----   1 minivend minivend        1 Aug 30 00:47 ./products/pricing.sql
-rw-rw----   1 minivend minivend        1 Aug 30 00:47 ./products/inventory.sql
-rw-rw----   1 minivend minivend        1 Aug 30 00:47 ./products/country.sql
-rw-rw----   1 minivend minivend        1 Aug 30 00:47 ./products/products.sql
-rw-rw----   1 minivend minivend        1 Aug 30 00:47 ./products/cat.sql
-rw-rw----   1 minivend minivend        1 Aug 30 00:47 ./products/transactions.sql
-rw-rw----   1 minivend minivend        1 Aug 30 00:47 ./products/area.sql
-rw-rw----   1 minivend minivend    13128 Aug 30 00:47 ./products/locale.gdbm
-rwxrwxr-x   1 minivend minivend     7380 Aug 30 00:35 ./executable
-rw-rw----   1 minivend minivend     6404 Aug 30 00:47 ./error.log
-rw-rw----   1 minivend minivend   165892 Aug 30 23:48 ./universal.structure

Notice that I changed the owner of all the files in the catalog to
user 'minivend'.  So as far as I can tell, the only difference between
catalog 'sample' and catalog 'universal' is the location of the files
in my filesystem.  The 'sample' directory is in
/home/minivend/catalogs/sample (/home/minivend/mvend is the minivend
root) and 'universal' is in /home/univcell/catalogs/universal.

I simply don't know what else to check.  I have spent three solid days
working on this and I can't get the catalog to work in a directory
other than /home/minivend.  Can someone please give me something else
to check?  If I thought I could restore it easily enough, I would
change the permissions on my entire hard disk to 777 just to see if it
is really permissions or not.  I've tried running it with
/home/univcell recursively set to 777 and /home/minivend set to 777.
I just don't know what else could be set wrong.

Of course, nothing is getting printed out to /tmp/mvdebug.  What is
the purpose of that file?  Does anything ever get written to it?  Is
debugging a future feature?  I would really like to see a message like
"cannot create file xxxxx; permission denied" or "cannot open file
xxxxx; permission denied".  At least that way I would know exactly
what to address.
--
 (__)  Doug Alcorn (mailto:doug@lathi.net http://www.lathi.net)
 oo /  Unix Hacker