[ic] Re: [mv] *** Interchange 4.6 & PgSQL Difficulties ***

Jon Jensen jon@akopia.com
Sun, 3 Dec 2000 02:18:04 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 2 Dec 2000, Mike Heins wrote:

> Quoting David Wilson (david@wwns.com):
> >
> > I installed the tar files for Postgres 7.0.3 IC 4.6.0 and have the same
> > problems with the construct demo.  I am installing it on RH 6.2.
> >
> > I have not found any documentation on the mailing lists for Interchange
> > or Postgres that seem to have a solution.  Any good ideas?  It seems that
> > when Interchange is started it makes it past initializing the table
> > orderline before it gives this error message and aborts initializing any
> > other tables.
>
> Aha. I think this is a PostgreSQL 7 issue. They changed their timestamp
> representation (do a Deja search and you will see other complaints/problems
> about it), and I have tested only on 6.5.x. Works fine on 6.5.x.

Actually, I think this may be due to PostgreSQL 7 not allowing empty
timestamp fields. A few of the rows recently added to the transactions and
orderline tables had empty timestamps, and filling them with a valid
timestamp fixed the problem. I've fixed our default data in CVS and 4.6.1.

Of course switching the column to a VARCHAR as Mike suggested would also
work and would be tolerant of such anomalous timestamps in the future.

Jon