[ic] Newbie on the loose.

delionsweb - interchange interchange@delionsweb.net
Mon, 04 Dec 2000 22:22:48 -0500

Michael,

If I read the request correctly then the answer is:
You need a merchant account *and* a payment gateway service.
Many payment gateway services roll the two applications into one and this
confused me in the beginning.
Many times existing merchants (brick and mortar) already have merchant
accounts and they can usually find a payment gateway that is willing to set
up with the existing account providing that the acquiring bank have
compatible procedures.

In general my limited experience give me bias towards the more established
services.
Many of them have more expensive setup fees but you kind of get what you
pay for ...
Watch out for higher than normal discount rates and gateway fees.
I have been very happy with Signio Payflo Pro (Now Verisign) - no shopping
cart included - and I've done some setups using Authorize.net.
In general I advise against using Services like Accesspoint's Merchant
manager if you are building your own shopping cart with Interchange/Minivend.

Search the mail archives for the FTP info to get the other demos.