[ic] Interchange on FreeBSD

jojo@buchonline.net jojo@buchonline.net
Thu, 7 Dec 2000 12:09:06 +0100 (CET)

On  7 Dec, Karl M. Joch wrote:
> i would encourage you to upgrade. there was lot of good changes between 3..4
> and 4.2.  but for sure only after finding why it crashes. i descided to do a
> cvsup/buildworld on the testbox today and investigate the problem. i have
> one xxx shop running and there the traffic is really very high. upgrading
> mysql to 3.23.x and rebuilding all tables with mysqldump/reload brought some
> advantages and exra speed (14 Mio record at the moment).. The out of memory
> error i only had when doing a wrong query on a big table. but you can set
> the resources in login.conf to not affect the whole system. crashing with
> out of memory sometimes also destroys the mysql key file with mysql 3.22. on
> 3.23 i never had that since now. running isamcheck -s in crontab helps you
> to see this problem as soon as possible.
>
> the crashes i have here results in a core dump without logging anything. so
> its a little bit hard to debug. i hate debugging production boxes. and on
> the test box its hard to have that effect. at the moment i know that the
> lycos spider crashes MV when running down the pages. furthermore there is
> alexa.com which has a really bad configured spider. since i blocked the
> whole class C of alexa.com crashes are less.
>
> will let you know when finding out more.
>
> regards,
>
> karl

Thanks for the informations!
But wihtout mysql and using the demo shop per default. The server crash.
With your testbox, you can use the ab program to simulate a high
traffic. Regarding to upgrade 3.4 to 4.2. I´ve no time to do that,
because I´ve a new job at 01/03/2001 (March 01 2001) and I´ve to make
my TODO now with a lot of stuff outside of MV/IC stuff. :-(

Joachim

--
Hans-Joachim Leidinger
buch online                 jojo@buchonline.net