[ic] 4.6.1. Problems with localization introduced

Ton Verhagen ton@verhagen.net
Sun, 17 Dec 2000 12:07:05 +0100

At 01:17 AM 12/17/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Quoting Ton Verhagen (ton@verhagen.net):
> > Dear Mike,
> >
> > While running 4.6.0 I discovered that localzation caused misbehavior of
> the
> > basket. At that time array @Vend::Productbase wasn't updated when
> switching
> > locale. You fixed that in the cvs. After that everything was okay.
> >
> > However, it seems that since you corrected the localization problems of
> the
> > basket in cvs, the latest version IC4.6.1 has another problem.
> >
> > Same settings as I used before in IC4.6.0:
> > Catalog.cfg:
> > ProductFiles products nl_products
> >
> > Locale database:
> > code en_US de_DE fr_FR nl_NL
> > ProductFiles products de_products fr_products nl_products
> > products products de_products fr_products nl_products
> >
> > When switching locale to nl_NL
> > Translations ([L][/L] and friends) are okay
> > $Config->{ProductFiles} contains: nl_products ----> okay
> > info on flypage contains Dutch text coming from nl_products ----> okay
> >
> > However, searches like:
> >
> http://www.mydomain.coml/cgi-bin/construct/scan/st=db/co=yes/sf=category/se=Wrenches.html
> > return products from two tables: products and nl_products eg two products
> > os28064
> >
> > When I change the Catalog.cfg setting from:
> > ProductFiles products nl_products
> > ProductFiles products
> > searches will return one product only, eg for Wrenches(link above): one
> > product os28064
> > However no Dutch text on flypage although $Config->{ProductFiles}
> contains:
> > nl_products!!!
> >
> > What could be wrong?
>
>You need to call out the search file in the scan directive; there is no
>real way to change that on the fly, nor do I believe that should be done
>necessarily.
>
>         [page href=scan
>                 arg="
>                         fi=[L]products[/L]
>                         se=Wrenches
>                         etc.
>                 "]
>
>What is easiest to relocate -- all of the search terms or just the
>table? I don't know the answer.

Mike, I am under the impression that when a scan is called without a search
file directive, the ProductFiles will be searched. This is how it worked in
4.6.0 and before. Has anything changed since? And if so, why?
What is the use of having ProductFiles dynamically changed when setting
another locale, while you still have to call a specific table. Also, in
this scenario, one can't use a range of (product) tables to be searched for
each locale.

IMHO the most elegant way is to have ProductFiles dynamically adapt to the
locale and have the scan/search use the 'active' ProductFiles directive.
What do you think?

Best regards,

Ton