[ic] New user needs assitance

Steve & Patti Getzinger steveandpatti@wubs.org
Sun, 17 Dec 2000 21:30:08 -0500

+N6REJ wrote:

> > > Hello, I just installed interchange 4.6 and I'm having some problems
> with
> > > getting it running.
> > > I'm running RedHat 6.2
> > >
> > > 1: exactly how do I go about making it start on boot.
> > >

> > Depends on the install you did. rpm or tarball?
> I guess I forgot to mention that.  My system is configured with
> apache,openssl,mod_ssl, ssleay,rsa,mysql all installed from tarball NOT rpm
> as is standard.
> interchange was installed from tarball, This was done primarily because
> apache lives in /usr/local/apache NOT /etc/httpd
> >

> > > 2. when starting it as user interch I was forced to give that user
> /bin/bash
> > > permissions in order to get interchange to start.. is this ok?  I have
> not
> > > assigned a pw as of yet.
> > >

> > You did something wrong
> The documentation gave no indication that I even NEEDED to create another
> user.. I only found out when I tried to run the config
>

> > > 3. Even though interchange is running and I have the following in the
> vhost
> > > section in /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf
> > > ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "/www/worldspecialt.net/cgi-bin/"
> > >
> > > Whenever I try to access any of the cgi based files.. like, clik here if
> ur
> > > a customer, it says interchange is'nt running.
> > >

> > Then it isn't. How do you know it is running? Again what install method
> did you
> > use. And how did you start the server
> as you surmised.. I was using ps aux to know if it started, and when I
> issued the command su -f -c /usr/local/interchange/bin/restart interch it
> starts with a bunch of data running across the screen like the docs state it
> will.
>

> > > 4. I was unable to find any demo's other then "Construct" is this ok?
> > >

> > What other demos did you install? Construct is the only one (that I know
> of)
> > that is "packaged" with IC
> The documentation states the "basic, simple, barry" are included and
> mentions NOTHING about construct
> >

> > > 5. How do I set things up so that it uses PGP?
> > >

> > Read the docs
> >

> > > 6. How will it know when to go to a secure area and when not to?
> > >

> > It is magic and happens automagically. Again this is in the docs. If you
> are
> > not getting the answers you need from the docs on the IC site go to the
> old MV
> > site and go through those docs. Knowing where it came from will greatly
> help in
> > knowing where it is.
> >

> > > Thanks in advance
> > > Troy
> > >

> > Hope that helps some. If you need specific help I am running on RH6.2 on
> the
> > Net and RH6.2 and 7 on development machines. I would highly recommend
> dumping
> [...]

OK adding to boot is defined at the install something like adding su -c
/install/path/to/interchange/bin/start interch You do not have to create a new
user just makes life easier especially on a RH system. I usually restart the
old MV as root and when asked if I want to start as the mv owner I say yes. The
user in my case is minivend and set to /bin/false same would apply for IC. Docs
may be a bit behind on what comes with tarball or rpm Barry used to before
construct was available and simple was the predecessor from MV. These cats run
in IC just need installed in the root area of IC and called with makecat. Next
on the list when doing makecat did you say yes or no to SQL? if yes the cat
will not run if you have problems with your SQL. If you said no which I
recommend for a first time try at this (just eliminates any problems related to
SQL) and it does not run I suggest backing out a bit.

  Start with creating the user interch which on 6.2 will create the group
interch. Now if user bob is going to running (read controlling) the catalog
mystore you run makecat mystore and when you get to the part about permissions
choose M then when it says who owns the IC server say interch. When it asks who
runs the cat say bob and the group that controls the cat would be bob. Now edit
the /etc/group file and add interch to the group bob. Start/restart the ic
server. Oh yeah say no to SQL during the makecat. Now as long as you gave a
path that bob has the right to be in all will go just fine. Probably better
edit the group file first just to be safe. Try your site. don't worry about the
httpd.conf file it does not need to be touched. Everything ok? If so you now
have a base to work from IC is installed an operational on your machine. If you
do another makecat and say yes to SQL and that site does not run obviously you
have a problem with your SQL end of things. Providing interch is in the group
of the user that will control the new cat.

Hope that helps some. If you are still not going after trying that just hollar.

Steve