[ic] Request for comments and documentation - multiple server architecture

Ed LaFrance edl@newmediaems.com
Wed, 20 Dec 2000 10:44:02 -0800

Hello all -

With regards to load-sharing strategies for high-traffic sites running
Interchange: I have scanned the current docs, and searched the mail
archives with terms like "multiple server", "load sharing", etc.  There is
a smattering of info on this subject, but given the history and maturity of
Interchange, I think more information on the topic is justified, so I am
herein submitting a request for the development of some formal
documentation on multiple-server architectures for Interchange.

This may not be the prescribed forum for a documentation request...but I
could not find a specific directive for that at akopia.com, so here we
are.  Also, I would hope that anyone on this list who has successfully set
up an efficient dual- or multi-server Minivend or Interchange system would
be willing to share some specific technical how-to's.

One approach I did find in the archives is to run Interchange and the http
server on one machine, and the database server on the second - this seems
relatively straight forward, and I would guess that the performance gains
could be significant on data- and search-intensive sites.  One idea I had,
in the case of graphic-intensive sites, would be to establish a separate
image server, geographically separated from the Interchange/web-server, to
relieve bandwidth bottlenecks.  Yes, images would come from a separate
IP/Domain than the rest of the site, and this could be an issue with SSL -
though just those images for the SSL areas could be accessed local to the
same domain.

I encourage other listees, and Akopia, to respond to this thread.  My
interest is not just academic; I have a client who is facing the prospect
of a multi-server scenario very soon, if they continue growing at their
present rate.  Let's push the envelope!

- Ed L.

463 Main St., Suite D          edl@newmediaems.com
Placerville, CA  95667         http://www.newmediaems.com
(530) 622-9421                 (530) 622-9426 Fax
(866) 519-4680 Toll-Free