[ic] Installation

Stefan Hornburg racke@linuxia.de
21 Dec 2000 00:27:30 +0100

Mike Heins <mikeh@minivend.com> writes:

> Quoting Jason Kohles (jason@mediabang.com):
> > On Wed, Dec 20, 2000 at 12:51:38PM -0600, Superior Sites wrote:
> > > How come when I install Interchange 4.6.1 on one of my boxes running Redhat
> > > 6.2 it locks up at '/usr/local/bin/perl Makefile.PL force
> > > final=/usr/local/interchange' and just hogs up my %cpu, but i have a second
> > > machine identical to this one (but runs ssl) that it installed fine on?
> > >
> > I just posted a bug report on this yesterday, its because it is trying over
> > and over to find the userid for the user you specified to install interchange
> > as, but that user does not exist in the password file yet.  It will continue
> > to loop until the user is created.
>
> And nobody ignored the question at the first stage of install?
>
>     my $ans = my_prompt("User name $uid doesn't exist. Use anyway? ", 'n');
>
> It defaults to "No" for a reason. Perhaps we need to be more strident....
> 8-)

I have the following problem that seems related to that:
My Debian Application Manager tries to build the Debian package
from source. He has not an user interchange. The build process
is executed under fakeroot (a library which pretends that the
build process is run as root to allowing putting files as
root into archives). The build process executes:

# Add here commands to compile the package.
	$(PERL) Makefile.PL force=1 \
		INTERCHANGE_USER=interchange \
		PREFIX=/usr/lib/interchange
	$(MAKE)

He reports me that the build process hangs ....

Ciao
        Racke

--
LinuXia Systems && Cobolt NetServices, eCommerce and more
Shop- und Datenbanklösungen mit MiniVend, Firewalls auf Debian-Basis