[ic] Request for comments and documentation - multiple server architecture

Mike Heins mikeh@minivend.com
Thu, 21 Dec 2000 06:51:25 -0500

Quoting Greg Cope (greg@rubberplant.freeserve.co.uk):
> Looking throught the code Vend::DBI does do some checking of where the
> statement is a SELECT - so in thoery there is no reason why not as
> within these routines that prepare the statments (i.e. define the $sth
> from a different dbhandle depending on wherethere replication is being
> used.)

This is definitely possible. If we ever get a real-life instance where I
need to do it, I don't anticipate any trouble. But I wouldn't put something
like that together in a vacuum. Unfortunately, I have little free consulting
time to give away other than what you see on the list, so that will pretty
much depend on Akopia needing it.

> But what logic would be used i.e if its a select do we use a slave, and
> if thats down give up or try another ?  Same goes for the Master - does
> it have a backup master ?

I would think your director would handle that.

> Mike,
>
> Could something like this be put on the Akopia / Interchange "wish list"
> ?

All you have to do is enter it in Bugzilla as an enhancement. The better
laid out and thought out it is the better I pay attention. 8-)

phone +1.513.523.7621 fax 7501 <heins@akopia.com>

The U.S. Senate -- white male millionaires working for YOU!  -- Dave Barry