[ic] High traffic / low traffic ???

Sim Zacks Szacks@co.wayne.mi.us
Thu, 09 Nov 2000 07:02:51 -0500

Low traffic reads your pages from disk, so the site is slower as it has to deal with IO. If you get 10 hits at the same time, and they all have to read from the disk, it will take even longer. High traffic settings means the pages are loaded into memory when you start the server. I believe slow memory is accessed at 60 ns while fast disk is accessed at 10 ms. The difference is unbelievable. While you are developing you will want to keep it on low traffic because that means when you change a page, you do not need to restart the server. With high settings, every time you change a page you have to restart the server so the changes will take effect.
If you have trouble with high settings, e-mail me I spent a lot of time figuring out why the site that worked perfectly with low settings was crapping out when I chose high settings. I've already posted what I did to the list a week or two ago. so you can check the archives.

Sim

>>> tal@telnet.co.il 11/05/00 01:25PM >>>
How would you define 'High traffic' ???
i am not sure if i should set to low, or High traffic...
any suggestions...

Tal Hart
I-Media Advertising network
Tel # + 972-9-8859919    Fax # +972-9-8859929
Address : Office - 10 giborey israel, New industrial area,Netanya
Post Adress : 2 Gur st. , Ramat Poleg , Netanya , ISRAEL , 42000
E-mail : tal@telnet.co.il           Web : www.imedia.co.il