[ic] Re: Inelegant greeting...

Toni Mueller support-ic@oeko.net
Wed, 15 Nov 2000 12:43:14 +0100

Hello,

On Wed, Nov 15, 2000 at 11:23:47AM +0000, Dave Barr wrote:
> I have been attempting to greet users who have set cookies at
> user-account creation time on their "entry" page to avoid confusion.
> To explain; the cookie will only "kick-in" on the second page that
> any user enters, during in-house testing this was the number one

dumb question perhaps, but in theory the user should send a cookie
the _first_ time he enters the shop, so you should be able to take
that cookie and look into the userdb to find him or her. I didn't
try this, but how do you come to the conclusion that you only
have the cookie on the second page access? I guess that you may
need to do the userdb lookup manually, though... Unfortunately
I don't grok JavaScript ...

> <!-- HIDE
> if (id != 'null') {
> //document.write("[data table=userdb column=fname key=\'"+id+"\']");
>    document.write("Hi "+id+" welcome back to __COMPANY__.");

This stuff should imho be easily done by a [perl] section on the
title page, but this JavaScript piece should not work since this
is executed client-side (who has no notion of a userdb in the
first place).

> Also, the first document.write incorporating the read of the userdb
> table failed to work (with either plain ASCII being displayed or
> nothing at all), I seem to remember from the dim and distant past a

see above...

Best Regards,
--Toni++