[ic] Multiple ship to's...

Cameron B. Prince cameron@akopia.com
Thu, 16 Nov 2000 21:58:24 -0600

This is not correct.

There were some problems with the multiple shipping addresses feature in one
release. This only happened with the use of GDBM databases. Mysql has always
worked as far as I know. But I just tried it on http://demo.akopia.com and
it worked for me.

The way it works is by associating an address from the ship_addresses
database to each sku in the basket. Each order can have  practically an
unlimited number of items with individual addresses assigined to each one.

Then on the report email, each sku is listed with "Default Shipping
Address", or the individual address selected for it. This all happens in a
single order.

The theory is the same for what you want. They way it's layed out is not.

You can do what you're talking about with a little customization.

Good luck,

Cameron

-----Original Message-----
From: interchange-users-admin@minivend.com
[mailto:interchange-users-admin@minivend.com]On Behalf Of Paul Stearns
Sent: Thursday, November 16, 2000 7:57 PM
To: interchange-users@minivend.com
Subject: Re: [ic] Multiple ship to's...

Cameron:

I have downloaded, installed and set up the interchange system. I have made
the demo catalog. I have even played with the method of handling multiple
ship to's in the demo package. Which by the way doesn't seem to work, I
added
a new ship to, selected it and the the original ship to address remained in
the ship to fields. I didn't complete the transaction, so I am not sure if
it
would ship to the right place.

The demo system's handling of multiple ship to's seem to be based on
separate
orders, the niche that I'm trying to fill is a gift shop where a customer
might want to purchas 5 to 10 items at one time to be shipped to multiple
places. For example;

A customer wants to buy 3 widget's and 2 doodad's. They want to send;
1 widget and 1 doodad to Aunt Matilda,
1 widget to cousin Billy Bob,
1 doodad to niece LaToya, and
1 widget for himself.

Unless I am mistaken with the way the current demo is set up the customer
would need to place 4 orders. Each separate order would incur a separate
Credit Card transaction fee and customer service overhead.

What is not obvious to me is how I might set up the front end part of the
system so that a customer might keep their purchases separated whilst they
shop, so that they can see in their basket what products have been allocated
to each ship to.

It is easier to understand by visiting the harryanddavid.com site and trash
around.

The advantages of doing it the way I would like is, that the pain of filling
out the multiple ship to addresses is delayed until they have bought all of
their products and they can see what they bought for each person at any time
by clicking see cart.

Paul