How does this work? (Was: [ic] scratch variables in search conditions)

Mike Heins mikeh@minivend.com
Mon, 20 Nov 2000 11:53:33 -0500

Quoting Doug Alcorn (doug@lathi.net):
> I was going back through some of my old notes and came across this
> message from a while back.
>
> "Cameron B. Prince" <cameron@akopia.com> writes:
>
> > We have something similar on a site that allows customers to define
> > or narrow results in a search:
> >
> > On index.html: (Sets the default match limit to 5)
> >
> > [if !scratch sprofile][set sprofile]ml=5[/set][/if]
> >

> > Then in the complex search for the areas: (Tells each link to use the proper
> > search profile)
> >
> > fi=products
> > st=db
> > co=yes
> > sf=category
> > se=Chargers
> > mp=sprofile
> > sp=results_image
> >

> > Then finally on the results page, we have this code that sets some search
> > options and refreshes the results page.
> >

> Cameron says here that he is using a coordinated search with a
> profile.  I am assuming that the link made on the leftside is
> something like:
> /scan/fi=products/st=db/co=yes/sf-category/se=Chargers/mp=sprofile/sp=results_image.
> Based on my experiences this weekend, this shouldn't work.  What
> version of IC is this catalog running?

You can set anything except the coordinated parameters in the profile. Those
are:

    ac mv_all_chars
    bs mv_begin_string
    cs mv_case
    ne mv_negate
    nu mv_numeric
    os mv_orsearch
    se mv_searchspec
    sf mv_search_field
    sg mv_search_group
    su mv_substring_match

They will be confused if set both places. Once again, I may be able to do
something about this in 4.7.x/4.8 by changing the interpretation order if
mv_coordinate is set. But I cannot be sure.

phone +1.513.523.7621 fax 7501 <heins@akopia.com>

relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Dick Feynman