[ic] SUCCESS! Coordinated search for area/category links

Marcel Montes marcel@multimake.com
Tue, 21 Nov 2000 12:58:38 -0300

--------------A8AA744DCF3158F46123CDB6

the url is: http://www.lathi.net/cgi-bin/univcell/index.html

Doug Alcorn wrote:

> For your demoing pleasure I present
> http:/www.lathi.net/univcell/cgi-bin/index.html.  Last night I
> finished the last part that makes this a working demo.  I still have
> some generic cleanup to do, but it all works.
>
> Things to notice:
>
> o The logobar uses IC to output javascript so that the second select
> list options update based on the value of the first select list.
> Since it uses javascript, there is no page reload to get the options
> updated.  Also since it uses javascript, this site won't work without
> it.  I still need to implement the <noscript> version of the site.
>
> o The selected values of the selection lists persist across the entire
> user session.  The action of the form is a middle page that "Does The
> Right Thing".  Right now I have a default category that is browsed
> when a specific phone is selected.
>
> o The leftside links perform a coordinated search where
> category=whatever category and addl_category is whatever was selected
> from the selection lists.  I completely ripped off bar_link to make
> foo_link. :)  Bar_link takes an optional "extra" argument that is a
> template for building the link.  I changed the "extra" part to be a
> scratch variable that is appended to the scan list.  An example:
>
> [seti myprofile]
> sf=addl_category
> se=[scratch my_addl_category]
> [/seti]
>
> [loop blah blah blah]
>         [loop-exec foo_link]area my_addl_category[/loop-exec]
> [/loop]
>
> o Once you select a category from the left side, if you change
> selection from the logobar the category stays the same but the scan
> results are updated to the new addl_category.  I did this with another
> modification to bar_link in my foo_link.  Basically bar_link takes the
> column=value pairs and builds a scan out of them.  I added an extra
> va= for each of the column=value pairs.  This allows the results page
> to easily know what category, etc. it is for.
>
> Other than these points of interest, my catelog is a straight
> 'barry'.  In the spirit of open-source/free-software I am willing to
> make my modifications available to whomever wants them.  I'm sure they
> are not done the most efficient way.  I'm also sure there are many on
> this list who could have done it faster.  But, this has been an
> excellent learning exercise.  I couldn't have done it without the help
> of several people on this list.
> --
>  (__)  Doug Alcorn (mailto:doug@lathi.nethttp://www.lathi.net)
>  oo /  Unix Hacker
>  |_/   "It's too late for paradise" (at least in this life)

 Marcel Montes [marcel(at)multimake(dot)com] - Programmer
 "If our brain were so simple that we could understand it,
 we would be so stupid that we couldn't do so"