[ic] IS NO ONE ABLE TO HELP A NEWBIE?

Marcel Montes marcel@multimake.com
Wed, 22 Nov 2000 12:12:01 -0300

--------------D2B995BB9C7D6342B50263E6

David Stites wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My name is David Stites.  I downloaded the latest version of interchange
> (4.6.0) in tarball format.  I run a UNIX FreeBSD server and I uploaded the
> tarball to my public_html and I unzipped it.  I chdir into the interchange
> directory and I try to run the ./configure @ the command line.  However I
> get an error.  I try to run the perl Makefile.PL and I get the same error.
> I have all the system requirements (perl and DB).  I also tried uploading it
> to my root (/user21/home/bigdaves/ and I got the same error.

don't rely on this.... 90% of people who says that has all DBI/DBD modules
actually don't have them.
anyway that's not the case because you should be able to install it.

> My path is
> (user21/home/bigdaves/public_html)
>
> public_html is my public directory where I upload my files so that they are
> accessible to the Internet.
>
> When I ask where perl is I get
> % whereis perl
> perl: /usr/bin/perl /usr/share/man/man1/perl.1.gz /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl
>
> When I ask where mysql is I get
> % whereis mysql
> mysql: /usr/local/bin/mysql /usr/local/man/man1/mysql.1.gz
> The error is
>
> Found Perl 5.00503 as /usr/bin/perl
>
> If you get a CPAN error, rerun the configuration and it
> should go away.
>
> opendir(./../..): Permission denied at /usr/libdata/perl/5.00503/FindBin.pm
> line
>  143
> opendir(//..): Permission denied at /usr/libdata/perl/5.00503/FindBin.pm
> line 16
> 2
> opendir(//..): Permission denied at /usr/libdata/perl/5.00503/FindBin.pm
> line 16
> 3

looks like a file permission problem

>  Interchange V4.6.0
>
>   Copyright (C) 1996-2000 Akopia, Inc. <info@akopia.com>
>
>  Interchange is free under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
>
> Where is your Interchange to be installed?
>
> Cannot chdir to ./lib: No such file or directory
> make: no target to make.
> make: don't know how to make test. Stop
> %

cannot chdir to ./lib??? what did you download?
there should be a directory <interchange-source-path>/lib/
with Vend and File dirs (full of .pm) and IniConf.pm
also, if configure fails, you cannot "make" nor "make test" nor "make install"
as far as I know when
installing ANY program.

> I am not sure what all this means or what I need to do.  Also I am not sure
> what I need to enter when I am asked where is Interchange to be installed.
>
> I greatly appreciate any help I can get as I am new to this and I can set
> everything but I don't know how to deal with these errors because I am only
> 15 and running www.pnsdesigns.com.  I really thank you and would be glad to
> do anything for anyone who can help me including some work on their web site
> (ie logos etc)
>
> Thanks,
> --
> David Robert Stites
> P N S D E S I G N S . C O M
> ===================
> http://www.pnsdesigns.com
> Designer/CEO/Webmaster
> AIM: BigDaveSt
> ICQ: 89212584
> PH: (309) 827-0473
> Fax/Voicemail: 1-877-744-3229 Ext. 971
> Address: R.R. 13 Box 356, Bloomington, IL 61704
> DStites@PNSDesigns.com

But this is only the beginning....
I invite you to read <interchange-source-path>/pdf/icinstall.pdf
or go to http://developer.akopia.com/cgi-bin/ic/dev/icinstall

g'luck
--
 Marcel Montes [marcel(at)multimake(dot)com] - Programmer
 "If our brain were so simple that we could understand it,