[ic] Creating templates

Steve & Patti Getzinger steveandpatti@wubs.org
Wed, 22 Nov 2000 12:53:20 -0500

Alex wrote:

> They seem to be read from the templates/ directory automatically, you
> needn't do anything here.
>
> ----
> Alex
>
> On Wed, 22 Nov 2000, Paul R Stearns wrote:
>
> > Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 12:27:11 -0500
> > From: Paul R Stearns <pauls@compuace.com>
> > To: interchange-users@minivend.com
> > Subject: Re: [ic] Creating templates
> >
> > What I would like to know is how do I add a template that I create manually to the
> > drop down lists on the page edit screen.
> >
> > Alex wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks Matt, it surely helps. But I haven't grasped yet how these parts
> > > (NOLEFT_TOP, UI_CONTENT, NOLEFT_BOTTOM) are put together, and how do
> > > you mark the place where the actual page content will be placed.  - could
> > > you put me in the right direction once more please? :)
> > >
> > > ----
> > > Alex

Pages are in pieces. Names are logical so top_left_noright (or whatever) is part of a
page that has a top left column center section. Now apply the all concept a page has 5
pieces top left right bottom and the center. Lets think word processor header footer
right channel left channel and body. They are pulled in based on what is on the page
itself so __LEFTSIDE__ brings in the variable __LEFTSIDE__ in the catalog.cfg file in
the place it is located on the page. Now the variable __LEFTSIDE__ can be a file with no
extension or whatever extension you want (if I am wrong here someone will let me know
:)  ) IC will parse the content of __LEFTSIDE__ and make it part of your page before
sending it to the web server (how was that for being politically correct and not saying
Apache :) )

So we look at index.html and see:

[comment]
UI stuff
[/comment]

@_LOGO_@
@_LEFTSIDE_@
our content that ends up in the center
@_NO_RIGHT_@

So we simply look for logo in the templates dir and that is? Yep you guessed it and it
is placed where? Right again. Want a visual do a view source of index.html and compare
to the pieces.

Hope that helps some
Steve