[ic] Speeding up Data access times??

Mike Heins mikeh@minivend.com
Thu, 23 Nov 2000 12:42:45 -0500

Quoting John Foster (jfoster@augustmail.com):
> I have checked the Akopia demo site for access times versus those my
> test site requires and they are about the same. I compared the access
> times required by my main web site which uses much larger (1000 times)
> databases and you can imagine what the access times are like:-(  It
> works, but is slower that cold molasses. If any one has tips or tricks
> for helping the access times to be faster, I would appreciate your help.
> The area catalog has 250 entries, cat has 600, products 126,000.

Might help to know what database you are using. 8-) And for you
to give a baseline on what type of system you have.

If SQL, index, index, index. All fields where you sort and all
where you select.

If DBM, you need to search the text file and not the DB; and in
the large file, you need to pre-select with the binary search.
600 entries is nothing for the text file search. 125,000 is, and
the way to do it is with dl=string etc.

Good luck.

phone +1.513.523.7621 fax 7501 <heins@akopia.com>

Unix version of an Outlook-style virus:
It works on the honor system. Please forward this message to everyone
you know, and delete a bunch of your files at random.