[ic] Re: Need Tips to speed up access time w/LARGE SQL Databases

Toni Mueller support-ic@oeko.net
Sat, 25 Nov 2000 17:46:07 +0100

Hello,

On Sat, Nov 25, 2000 at 08:32:38AM -0600, John Foster wrote:
> 36 seconds; for first page to come up

I think it took a bit longer here...

> outside my hardware. If anyone has ideas the test site is located at
> http://www.advance-computing.com   click on go to retail store. Please
> excuse the sloppy front end as this is a work in progress.

Yes. You need a different design. Pulling a _large_ number of such
categories and sub categories and making this into such a long flat
table is the wrong design for this amount of data.

I suggest aggregating to one more level of categories, and having
them organized as a tree (ie, it would be very nice to have a
tree widget a la Zope). Unfortunately I don't have one myself.
If anyone has a suggestion on how to implement this in Interchange,
ideas are very welcome.

Best Regards,
--Toni++