[ic] Thousands of error logs in .gz format

Warren Odom warren-odom@stenocall.com
Fri, 6 Oct 2000 12:43:43 -0500

I can't find anything in the archives on this.

In June I started experimenting with Minivend (4.04), and in mid-August I
downloaded and installed Interchange (4.5.5) to try it also.  Both were
installed using RPMs on Red Hat.  This is still a development environment.

Today I discovered I have 232 "log" files from Interchange and over 42,000
of them from Minivend, dating back to September 3.  These are in the same
directories as their respective error.log files, but the names go like this:

-rw-------    1 intercha intercha       37 Sep  3 04:03 error.log.3.gz.4.gz
-rw-------    1 intercha intercha       72 Sep  3 04:03
error.log.2.gz.1.gz.4.gz
-rw-------    1 intercha intercha       42 Sep  3 04:03
error.log.1.gz.2.gz.4.gz
-rw-rw----    1 intercha intercha       43 Sep  3 04:03
barry.error.log.3.gz.4.gz
-rw-rw----    1 intercha intercha       84 Sep  3 04:03
barry.error.log.2.gz.1.gz.4.gz
-rw-rw----    1 intercha intercha       48 Sep  3 04:03
barry.error.log.1.gz.2.gz.4.gz
-rw-rw----    1 intercha intercha      145 Sep  3 04:03
barry.error.log.1.gz.1.gz.1.gz.4.gz
-rw-------    1 intercha intercha      395 Sep  6 08:27
error.log.1.gz.1.gz.1.gz.4.gz
-rw-rw----    1 intercha intercha      137 Sep 10 04:06
barry.error.log.2.gz.1.gz.1.gz.3.gz
-rw-rw----    1 intercha intercha       48 Sep 10 04:06
barry.error.log.1.gz.3.gz.3.gz
-rw-rw----    1 intercha intercha       92 Sep 10 04:06
barry.error.log.1.gz.2.gz.1.gz.3.gz
-rw-rw----    1 intercha intercha       53 Sep 10 04:06
barry.error.log.1.gz.1.gz.2.gz.3.gz

and so on.  The files appear to be created in bunches, and mostly (but not
always) shortly after 4 AM.  cron jobs start at 4 AM, and backups at 4:30,
but I haven't added anything new recently.  The vast majority of files are
created on Sunday mornings, so I looked at the weekly crons, but it appears
there's only a run of makewhatis.

Many of the .gz files are zero length.  The others give either binary
garbage, or an "unexpected end of file" when I try to gunzip them.
error.log has no errors in it.

So what could cause MV/IC to create these files, and how do I, to put it
politely, discontinue it?

            Thanks -- Warren