[ic] Is there ANY way to get "[value xxx]" in "[item-data [value xxx] category]" to interpolate?

Mike Heins mikeh@minivend.com
Fri, 13 Oct 2000 08:09:49 -0400

Quoting Tim Murphy (tjmurphy@videotron.ca):
> Hello all,
>
>     I know that the tags inside the search-list container tag only accept
> positional parameters and that a tag must be included in a named, quoted
> parameter to be interpolated for use inside another tag. I guess I'm hoping
> someone will tell me I missed something and what I'm trying to do is actually
> possible.
> I set a variable in a "va=var=value" construct ( database name, in fact), and
> I'm trying to use that name in a results page to deal with the multiple product
> databases I have (I need to limit a given search to a particular database).
> Unfortunately the [value xxx] doesn't get interpolated inside the [item-data...]
> tag, and so I'm stuck. If this is NOT possible, can anyone suggest a workaround,
> i.e. another way to, in effect, set the database that the results page (or any
> one of a number of pages I would really like to avoid hard coding) uses for a
> particular call? If I could do that then I could fall back to just using
> [item-field...] and the like and have it go to the database somehow defined as
> default for that one invocation.

I don't understand why

	[page href=scan arg="
				fi=your_db
				se=foo
				sf=bar
			"] scan your_db </A>

along with [item-field ...] won't do what you want. But there are quite
a few ways to do it.

If you can live with CGI-based parameters, how about:

    [page href=search
		    form="
			sf=category
			se=Hammers
			dbname=used
		"] Scan me </A>

Then you can do:

    [loop list="[cgi dbname]"]

	[search-region]
		[search-list]
			[item-data [loop-code] field]
		[/search]
	[/search-region]

    [/loop]

If you want the file-like URL of scan, you can use [area ...] and tack
on the CGI parameter.

phone +1.513.523.7621 fax 7501 <heins@akopia.com>

Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed. -- Francis Bacon