[ic] Install Problem

Mike Heins mikeh@minivend.com
Fri, 13 Oct 2000 22:02:00 -0400

Quoting Tom Compton (comptont@concentric.net):
> I am not asking questions without having spent a lot of time on the
> documentation.

I think maybe in the whelm you may be over that you missed README.rpm. 8-)

> Interchange and construct both run (and at the same time) but don't
> communicate.  I believe the problem has to do with the configuration
> of the link between them.  But since I don't have a clue as to how
> this link is supposed to work, I don't know where to start on the
> problem.  Perhaps there is a place in the documentation where this is
> explained or maybe someone can point me to the place in the source
> that does this or maybe explain, conceptually, how the link between
> the programs is supposed to work.
> As you suggested:
> [interch@zeus interchange]$ bin/restart
> Killing Interchange server 19280 with TERM.
> Low traffic settings.
> Calling UI....
> ...UI is loaded....
> Interchange V4.5.7
> Configuring catalog construct...Using default DBM database.
> done.
> Interchange server started in INET and UNIX mode(s) (process id 20540)

I think maybe in the whelm everyone may be over that we all
missed README.rpm. 8-)

        Invocation is the normal /etc/rc.d startup method. Interchange
        installs to be active in run levels 3, 4, and 5; to be killed in

        IMPORTANT NOTE: Do not expect /usr/lib/interchange/bin/restart to

        Interchange uses a special invocation script, located at
        /usr/sbin/interchange, to start the Interchange server. This is
        called by /etc/rc.d/init.d/interchange.

There was a typo in that file at the 4.5.7 release, which called out
/usr/lib/bin/interchange as the actual script.

That being said, it is possible you have SUEXEC turned on an that may
cause a problem (though usually it is a server error problem.)

Your interchange server is not running, according to the output of
your ps command, so let us know if you have tried the proper invocation

phone +1.513.523.7621 fax 7501 <heins@akopia.com>

My wife is great.  She doesn't care where I go, just as long as I don't
have any fun.  -- Lee Trevino