[ic] Install Problem

Ryan Hertz rhertz@gyb.baits.com
Fri, 13 Oct 2000 19:05:03 -0700

At 06:42 PM 10/13/00 , you wrote:
>I am not asking questions without having spent a lot of time on the
>documentation.

Okay.

>Interchange and construct both run (and at the same time) but don't
>communicate.  I believe the problem has to do with the configuration
>of the link between them.  But since I don't have a clue as to how

That's a possibility, since the permissions were wrong.  I like to try
rm'ing everything and starting over.  ;-)

>this link is supposed to work, I don't know where to start on the
>problem.  Perhaps there is a place in the documentation where this is
>explained or maybe someone can point me to the place in the source
>that does this or maybe explain, conceptually, how the link between
>the programs is supposed to work.
>
>As you suggested:
>[interch@zeus interchange]$ bin/restart
>Killing Interchange server 19280 with TERM.
>Low traffic settings.
>Calling UI....
>...UI is loaded....
>Interchange V4.5.7
>Configuring catalog construct...Using default DBM database.
>done.
>Interchange server started in INET and UNIX mode(s) (process id 20540)

Okay, started with 20540... funny, I don't see that PID below.  Hmm...  It
isn't running, is it?

>[interch@zeus interchange]$ ps aux
>interch  20544  0.0  0.3  1164  416 pts/0    S    21:32   0:00 grep
>interchange
>interch  20566  0.0  0.2  1164  344 ?        S    21:37   0:00
>construc
>
>"We're sorry, the Interchange server is unavailable...
>We are out of service or may be experiencing high system demand,
>please try again soon. "

It sure ain't lying.  Take a look at the error.logs for IC (both the server
and the catalog) and see if it says anything about dying.