[ic] area table vs cat table

Vanja Bertalan vanja@igp.hr
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 22:49:10 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: <jojo@buchonline.net>
To: <interchange-users@minivend.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 24, 2000 4:12 PM
Subject: Re: [ic] area table vs cat table

> On 24 Oct, Vanja Bertalan wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm little confused here, definition for both of these tables are the
same.
> > Could someone explain what is the purpose of having two tables with same
> > definitions and with almost the same data.
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > Vanja Bertalan
>
> See the doc, Section "The Results Page"

Hi again,

That part I understand (or at least I think I do :). What I don't understand
is generation of left vertical menu where product categories reside. There
are two loops, outer one that searches through 1st level categories (from
area database table) and inner loop that iterates over second level
categories (from cat database table). I don't understand why outer loop
scans data from area table, couldn't that all be done through 'cat' table?

One other thing while at it, are bar_link and tag_data subs documented
anywhere. I've been trying to figure them out but my 'mindset' obviously
isn't compatible :) What parameters they accept as input and what are they
capable to produce as output and why couldn't that be acomplished in the IC
temlate page itself?

Thank you,

Vanja Bertalan