[ic] How do I get choice fields like "color" working?

Marisa Giancarla mgiancarla@macromedia.com
Thu, 26 Oct 2000 16:13:59 -0700

I'm trying to get choice fields working on an item by item basis, and can't
figure out how it is supposed to be done. Under Tallyman I had matrixes, and
could create (for example) 2 sets of choices for a given type of item. In my
case of creating a "jewel case" item I would have one set called "graphics"
and another called "episodes", and when the user ordered one of the items
they could choose from a set of background graphics for the jewel case and
choose which set of episodes they wished the jewel case labeled for. Neither
choice was dependant on the other.

I'd like to do the same thing in Interchange, but I can't figure out how I
would do this other than creating a distinct separate item for each of the
possible combinations which isn't practical or aesthetically pleasing. Plus
I'd really like it to all get credited to the same SKU since technically
they are ordering the same item (ie depleting the same item from my stock)
nomatter what combination they choose as they get printed specifically for
each order.

I assume that the existing "color" field works this way, where a set of
available "colors" for that item can be entered and the user can choose, but
I don't know how I would set up the new fields I added to work in the same
way, or if it is safe to just rename the "color" and "size" fields and just
use them.

Could someone give me some quick pointers?

Marisa