[ic] Notes on upgrading a store from 4.04 to Interchange (and a question)

Mark Stosberg mark@summersault.com
Thu, 21 Sep 2000 13:33:48 -0500

Hello,

  I recently upgraded to Interchange 4.5.5 from Minivend 4.04 and
started going about the task of getting a store to work with the new
system. Here are some notes from that to help others who do this, and a
question I didn't resolve:

* The initial install was as easy as other Minivend upgrades I've done.
In fact it seemed exactly the same.

* Once I was able to access the new admin area, all of the sections
appeared blank-- as if there was no data. Interchange reported no errors
in the error logs about this. Investigation showed that an 'inactive'
field was needed to be added to the 'userdb' table. I used a text editor
and a spreadsheet to set this column to 0's for all the rows.

* it appears that I needed to remove the top line from shipping.asc to
be consistent with the new 'barry' sample store.

* the transactions.txt file needed an extra column named 'archived'.
Again I used a text editor and speadsheet to get this column filled with
zeros.

* it was useful to copy over the 'access.asc' and mv_metadata.asc files
over from the 'barry' demo to get started. I added the 'access.asc' to
my listing of Databases in catalog.cfg as well.

* I believe I needed to add the lines relating to "UI" to my current
minivend.cfg file.

* There were probably some other details that I needed to do that I
didn't get documented here.

----------------------

In converting the user-visible part of the store, there was one big
hang-up that I could not get past. In fact, it has lead me to
'down-grade' from Interchange on this system for now.

On my page multi/checkout.html, I started getting internal server errors
with this in the error logs when I submit the page:

######################################
208.196.32.195 w9TYiy8o:nobody - [19/September/2000:19:54:38 -0500] ssp
/~softskul/cgi-bin/ssp.cgi/process.html Bad SQL statement: Parse error
near 7 at /usr/local/mvend/lib/Vend/Scan.pm line 579.

> Query was: 7.

208.196.32.195 w9TYiy8o:nobody - [19/September/2000:19:54:38 -0500] ssp
/~softskul/cgi-bin/ssp.cgi/process.html Bad SQL, query was: 7
208.196.32.195 w9TYiy8o:nobody - [19/September/2000:19:54:38 -0500] ssp
/cgi-bin/ssp.cgi/process.html Runtime error: Can't use an undefined
value as an ARRAY reference at /usr/local/mvend/lib/Vend/Interpolate.pm
line 4774.

######################

I looked through the source code at these lines, as well as analyzing
the code on the page, and I could not figure this out. Does anyone know
what possible causes for this are? Whatever I was doing was valid with
MV 4.04. :)

If it's something wrong with my own code, it would be nice to get back a
more descriptive error message, if possible.

Also, pointers to other documents related to upgrading to Interchange
are appreciated.

Thanks!

  -mark

personal website             }      Summersault Website Development
http://mark.stosberg.com/    {      http://www.summersault.com/