[ic] A permissions question

Daniel LaRoe fxdjl@fxdjl.dcc.uaf.edu
Wed, 27 Sep 2000 17:54:50 -0800

I have looked in the documentation, and I can't find anything regarding this
problem, so I am turning to this list for any light anyone can shine on this
problem I am having with MiniVend/Interchange.

I'm trying to install Interchange-4.5.5, and am encountering problems with
the 'make test' portion. It's obviously a permissions problem, but I can't
figure out which file I'm having the permissions problem with. I have done a
'chown -R minivend:minivend *' for the whole installation directory, and I
configured interchange to use the minivend userid. I switched user (su) to
the minivend userid for the test. Per some instructions from the list archives,
I removed the minivend.pid file from blib/etc between test runs. I still can't
seem to get the test to succeed. As a desperate, last-ditch measure, I even
tried to set up minivend-4.04a in a different directory, and it got the exact
same results. If anybody has any suggestions, I'd really appreciate hearing
them. If you could even just point me to a list of files that are likely culprits,
I'd be grateful.

I'm running this on perl 5.6.0  on an HP9000 running HP-UX 10.20. The
'perl Makefile.PL' went fine, and the 'make' ran without a complaint. I just get
the results below when I issue the 'make test' command.

                      Thanks for your help,
                              Daniel LaRoe
                              SysAdmin on  www.uaf.edu
                              fxdjl@fxdjl.dcc.uaf.edu

--------------- Screen Capture Begins Here ---------------
$ make test
        PERL_DL_NONLAZY=1 /usr/bin/perl -Iblib/arch -Iblib/lib -I/opt/perl5/lib/
5.6.0/PA-RISC1.1 -I/opt/perl5/lib/5.6.0 test.pl
server/unixmode.......ok 1
server/startup........ok 2
link/unixmode.........ok 3
server/inetmode.......Could not lock file: Permission denied
Interchange version 4.5.5 Copyright 1996-2000 Akopia, Inc.

Interchange comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.  This is free software, and
you are welcome to redistribute and modify it under the terms of the
GNU General Public License.

Command line options (first letter will usually work):

     --add=catalog         remove a catalog from operation, parms taken
                           from the standard input
     -b catalog
        --build=catalog    build static page tree for catalog
     -d dir, --dir=dir     directory for VendRoot (minivend.cfg, error.log, etc.)
     -e name,
        --exclude=name     exclude catalog
     -f file,
        --config=file      configuration file (default minivend.cfg)
     --files spec          filespec (perl regexp OK) for static page tree
     -h, --help            display this message
     -i, --inetmode        run with Internet-domain socket (TCP)
     --kill [signal]       kill server ungracefully (9 or with optional signal)
     -q, --quiet           suppress informational messages on startup
     --reconfig=catalog    reconfig a particular catalog on the server
     --remove=catalog      remove a catalog from operation
     --restart             restart server
     --serve               start server (default) (-start is alias)
     --stop                stop server gracefully
     -t, --test            report problems with config files
     -u, --unix            run with UNIX-domain socket
     -v, --version         display program version
     -D, --DEBUG           run foreground in debug mode
ok 4
link/inetmode.........not ok 5
server/control........Could not lock file: Permission denied
[...]

not ok 6
6 tests run -- 2/6 failed.
*** Error exit code 1

Stop.