[ic] Beima's Response!

Jim Balcom jim@idk-enterprises.com
Mon, 2 Apr 2001 18:13:47 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 1 Apr 2001, John Beima wrote:

JB>>The documentation has an entire chapeter on discounts and quantity pricing...

I am now convinced that you have a different set of documents than I
do. Remember, I just started with IC version 4.6.3

JB>>Then looking at the examples in the Construct database and old Art Store demo,

I'm sorry, but I don't have the old 'Art Store'.

JB>>you should MORE than understand how to do it... Otherwise I sujest you hire a
JB>>REAL Interchange/Minivend consultant to hand hold you through the basics...

I don't have a problem with hiring someone to help, but I do object to
getting ripped off!

I asked Akopia to assist me in installing the IC 4.6.3 server. I was
told that the fee is $180 per hour with a 3 hour minimum. I hired a
consultant that had never seen the software before, and paid him
$100/per hour. He had it up and fully operational in less than an hour!
And, he had never seen the software before. In addition, he fully
explained to me what was happening as we went along. I needed to do a
re-install by myself, and I had no problem because of his explanations.

I would expect that Akopia would be able to do it in far less time than
my consultant did. I think that $540 for a one hour (or less) job is
outrageous!

I'm not here to try to set something up so that I can play hostmaster
and run other peoples stores. I've got an e-commerce business that is
growing by leaps and bounds. I've outgrown the commerce.cgi package
from Carey Internet Services. I've got a business to run, orders to
fill, merchandise to be ordered, etc. I don't have the privilege of
poring over the docs for a year like you did and poking and prodding to
find what works and what doesn't. I need to take something, anything,
and convert it to my needs. Take out a piece, put in a piece, and get
it available on-line for my customers.

Now, if someone is willing to come in and help me, at a reasonable fee,
and not try to rip me off, I will be glad to pay someone to help me set
up my store. But, in the meantime, "If it is to be, it is up to me!"

Now! With that out of the way, and in view of the fact that some people
are saying that they are having problems finding hosting, I've got IC
4.6.3 server running (apparently) flawlessly. The T-1 is due in by the
end of the month, and the IC server is running on a 550mHz server -
which will be upgraded once it shows signs of overloading. I'm willing
to host space to anyone that wants to set up their store on my server
and use my IC 4.6.3. But, this is strictly a by-product of dealing with
my own frustrations.

But, I am convinced that the documents that you have available to you
are definitely different than the docs that are available to me!

-= Jim =-

Tagline for Monday, April 02, 2001 at 17:50 PM:
CHIP: One California hi-way patrolman.

This Linux System has been up 70 hours