[ic] Got a good question!

Dan B db@cyclonehq.dnsalias.net
Tue, 03 Apr 2001 13:45:38 -0700

At 03:07 PM 4/3/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>Thanks for your input Dan. My client is a manufacturer who sells direct and
>through resellers. He plans to launch a series of site aimed at vertical
>markets as well as a reseller site based on the same products.

Cool.  For the reseller sites, I would recommend just using the same
catalog (as the vertical), but use the "affiliates" functionality of
interchange (read up on it in the docs/list).  Unless you need a radically
different visual interface for the resellers, it would work great for
that.  You can have all the reseller pricing done that way, without the
need for a seperate catalog.

>Each site
>will have different price levels and categories. Is there a way to just read
>the catagories from the cat.dbm file in each site and grab the catalog data
>from MySQL and point all the sites to the same datasource?

Using DBM for the cat and MySQL for the products should work better than
what I was telling you earlier (just use your selector= field).  Make sure
you go over dbconf/mysql/*.mysql files really well in each catalog.

-Dan B.
PS.  Many people prefer the following quoting method:
         Tools->Options->Email Options->
         ->When replying to a message: "prefix each line of the original
message"
         ->Prefix each line with: >

Dan Browning, Cyclone Computer Systems, danb@cyclonecomputers.com