[ic] How to create subcategories

Craig Beasland craig@hotmix.com.au
Thu, 5 Apr 2001 10:56:59 +0800

Jim,

In addition to that, so categories wouldn't go that deep and may only have 1
or 2 sub-categories underneath them while other may have 4 or 5 (sub)
sub-categories.  I realise that making the products so deep in the system is
not ideal, but that is what searching is for.

cheers
craig

The docs say that we can set up a large amount of sub-categories, just
like making sub-directories on a hard drive.

What I am looking for, and I believe that Marcelo is, too (as well as
some others) is...

Sticking within the framework of 'Construct Something' and figuring out
how to modify that....

The user comes into the store and in the left hand side is a category
headed 'Tools' That's a name. It's not hot, it's not clickable.

Under that are some categories - all hot and clickable:
Hammers
Saws
Drills
Screwdrivers

The user wants to buy a hammer, so he clicks on hammers.

Now, he needs some more choices:
Curved Claw
Straight Claw
Ball Peen
Sledge Hammers

He clicks on Sledge Hammers

Now, we've got:

2#
5#
10#
15#
20#

We can further refine this to manufacturers:

Stanley
Crescent
Black and Decker
Craftsman

And, now he is presented with a page of a half dozen 20# sledge hammers
made by Stanley from which he can make a selection.

But, if at the top, when he clicked on 'hammers' it would bring up
nearly 200 entries and he would feel swamped.