[ic] how to devevope an auto-notifier

Doug Alcorn doug@lathi.net
08 Apr 2001 15:57:33 -0400

"johscoand" <johscoand@home.com> writes:

> Is far as I can tell is that this will require crontab with time
> intervals but howdo I have crontab notify a logged in individual and
> notify them of an upcoming event.

The easiest thing to do is have the cron job send email.  Assuming
your users are checking mail frequently this should work out.  Also,
how fine tuned to you want this?  Do they need to get the message
accurate to the minute, hour, or day?

Another thing that would be cool is to use Net::AIM::Connection from a
perl script to send a message to your users if they are logged in.

http://search.cpan.org/search?mode=module&query=AIM

--
(__) Doug Alcorn <doug@lathi.net> http://www.lathi.net chat:lathinet@yahoo|aol
oo / PGP 02B3 1E26 BCF2 9AAF 93F1  61D7 450C B264 3E63 D543