suggestion was [Re: [ic] Broken links at]

Dave Jenkins
Thu, 12 Apr 2001 13:18:46 -0400


I agree with your point on the need to have some sort of self-moderating system
in place for the threaded discussions.  We're still working out the logic flow
and publishing rules on this.  I am familiar with the structure,
and it (along with slashdot) have been mentioned as models to follow.



Birgitt Funk wrote:

> David Jenkins wrote:
> <quote>
> Eventually, we want to bust this site wide open with mass customization
> customization for content (you see just what you want to see) and a lot of
> community interaction (threaded discussions).  We value our relationship
> with you -- the developers-- very highly, and want this site to reflect
> that.
> </quote>
> I am not a developer, but would think it might help to use for threaded
> discussions and posts (as a replacement of the mailing list)
> software, which includes ratings of comments by the readership and the
> possibility to post comments and questions in the framework of a rough
> subject category system. In addition this software would allow to use an
> "editing queue" for posted annotations for FAQs and docs. I am thinking
> about something similarly used in "news" sites like, where you
> post small snippets of articles in an editing queue and readers tear them
> apart and rate them for further release out of the queue into the public or
> for a suggested rewriting.
> I do believe it would help to sort and filter comments of users according to
> their subject area and averaged community rating of relevance.
> Let's say for example someone other than Mike Heins, may be a relatively
> inexperienced IC user,  had formulated a draft for a new FAQ. In a forum
> like K5 this submission would have gone into the editing queue, where every
> user reads the FAQ, comments on it, rates it according to its usefulness,
> criticizes, amends it and so forth. Authors then can rewrite it, dump it or
> it goes of the queue as is, because readers rated it up immediately highly
> enough to send it out.
> Often comments in the mailing lists are very important to keep. A year later
> anyone has difficulties to find the comment. With the rating option by the
> readership, each reader can help to indicate, how relevant on the long run,
> a comment was. Later on readers can search and read posts in the archives by
> a certain rate level. More irrelevant comments from newcomers will be rated
> low and thusly don't bother anymore later on, because each reader can filter
> them out.
> The busier the list the more important such self-rating, self-moderating
> forum becomes. It would still leave the final moderation up to the lead
> developer with regards to correctness of a post's content and more.
> _________________________________________________________________
> Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at
> _______________________________________________
> Interchange-users mailing list

Dave Jenkins
Project Manager - Professional Services Group
Red Hat, Inc.
TEL: 703-456-2944