[ic] Why I'm dumping Interchange

Mike Heins mheins@redhat.com
Sat, 14 Apr 2001 15:11:09 -0400

Quoting Mark Stosberg (mark@summersault.com):
> After using Minivend, now Interchange on and off for three years, I've
> made the decision to migrate away from it. This was a big decision
> because there's was (and is) a lot that is attractive about Interchange.
> I've written up an article with my thoughts on Interchange is here:
> http://mark.stosberg.com/tech/interchange/review.html
> I try to offer suggestions where I have complaints and give IC credit
> for it's stengths.
> Perhaps my words will resonate with some of you and you'll hasten your
> move away from IC. For others, perhaps you'll be further convinced that
> IC is the best solution for your needs. :)
> I wish the best for IC as an open source project. Perhaps one day when
> the project and myself have further evolved, our paths will cross again.
> I offer this to the Interchange community as personal documentation of
> my experiences, hopefully to be viewed as "constructive criticism". :)
> Good luck!

Dear Mark,

Thanks for your constructive criticism.  We do understand many of
the things, and I may address some of your issues with a detailed
comment at a later date.

For now, I recognize the fact that as programmers grow they get frustrated
with some of the aspects of Interchange. A better documentation of the
programming model may help, but the fact is that if you are developing
your own toolkit it may be best to focus on that.

I am also proud of the fact that Interchange has helped many programmers
to grow. Growth requires pain, or so I believe. 8-)

I still strongly believe that Interchange gives more oomph to the
programmer right out of the box than any other coherent Ecommerce
programming environment. And I will continue to work to try and improve

Good luck with your endeavors, and remember we will still be here if you
need to come back.

Red Hat, Inc., 131 Willow Lane, Floor 2, Oxford, OH  45056
phone +1.513.523.7621 fax 7501 <mheins@redhat.com>

Fast, reliable, cheap.  Pick two and we'll talk.  -- unknown