[ic] 'simple' and 'barry' demos with MYSQL

DB db@m-and-d.com
Thu, 19 Apr 2001 00:04:13 -0400

I did a fresh install of 4.6.5 and was able to get the 'construct' demo
working with MYSQL easily. But that catalog is a bit too complex for
this newbie, so I decided to try 'simple' and 'barry'. I need to use
MYSQL because I will have about 40,000 items in my store. So I wiped
everything out and did a fresh install, this time using 'barry' instead
of 'construct'. I answered makecat's questions the same way that worked
for 'construct', but when I did a '/bin/interchange -r', I got the
following:

The Interchange server was not running
(/home/mandd/interchange/etc/interchange.pi
d).
Low traffic settings.
Calling UI....
...UI is loaded....
Interchange V4.6.5
Configuring catalog MDS...Using MySQL, DSN=dbi:mysql:m_and_d_com.
MDS config error: connect failed (create) -- Access denied for user:
'mandd@localh
ost' (Using password: NO)

MDS: error in configuration. Skipping.
MDS: config error. Skipping.
Interchange server started in INET and UNIX mode(s) (process id 10460)

same thing happened with 'simple' ('simple' did run with the non-SQL
database). Can anyone tell me what is wrong? Seems like it did not
listen when I told it my password, and a search of the archives didn't
turn up an answer that I could understand.

One other question... am I better off modifying a demo or starting a new
catalog from scratch as in the tutorial? I'm pretty good with HTML and
just want to get my store up and running without spending 100s of hours.

DB