[ic] Taking a Poll

Dan B db@cyclonehq.dnsalias.net
Thu, 19 Apr 2001 22:50:47 -0700

Sorry for joining the thread late, but I was busy launching
http://www.diabeticsupplies.com

At 10:42 AM 4/16/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>I'd like to take the opportunity to respond to this thread, which I think is
>a very appropriate subject of conversation on this list.  I think that
>everyone realizes that with the documentation in its current state, it's
>quite difficult for someone to get up to speed and really reap the benefits
>of Interchange's depth of functionality. It's especially difficult for
>someone who isn't a dyed-in-the-wool hacker.

One point that was recently made is that it would be valuable to include
*more* documentation for the "dyed-in-the-wool hacker".  For example,
wouldn't it be great if there were a tool that took an IML page and
converted it to the equivalent perl?  (IC probably does this internally and
caches it, but could a developer access that?)

The new tag reference you mention may go a long ways towards helping that,
however.

>I'll hope that many people who
>read this list will be  buying them</guilt trip>.

Done.  :-)

>2. The new developer web site.  We're going to be launching a new developer
>web site that's going to have more tools to allow the developers to
>contribute to Interchange and to the documentation.  We'll be launching some
>Wiki-web-like tools that allow people to contribute to a living FAQ

Wonderful.

><guilt trip>Of course, this will only be worth the effort if people
>take advantage of them and they end up benefiting the project, so let me
>know if you think you'd be interested in taking advantage of these
>tools</guilt trip>

A simple contrib directory would help those who want to post materials but
don't want to put it on their own ftp directory.  I imagine this or
something like it is planned already.

>This would be a separate product
>you would only have access to by paying, either as a product or a service
>(ASP style).  We could also develop purpose-specific templates for
>particular types of web sites that could be purchased.  ("cookbook" demos,
>as someone mentioned)

That might be great for some people (business owners, etc.).  But I don't
personally forsee any use for our clients.

>Let me be clear that in each of these cases it would be important that
>consultants in our community can take part, either by joining some kind of
>referral program

A referral program would be great.

>feedback right now.  Also, let me stress that Interchange's license will not
>change;

It better not change.  I have connections with the mob-underworld, you
know.  (And RMS is the grandfather).

>4. Making it easier to learn Interchange.  In addition to new documentation
>and printed manuals, we'll be offering Interchange training soon.  If you
>have any feedback on what you think should be taught, let us know.

I think a "Heins Mind Meld" class would be the most beneficial.  Each tutor
gets thirty minutes of electronic connectivity directly to Mike's brain.  :-)

Dan Browning, Cyclone Computer Systems, danb@cyclonecomputers.com