[ic] Strange behavior for a complex search?

Webb, Malcolm malcolmw@upshot.com
Fri, 20 Apr 2001 08:46:56 -0700

Hi-

I'm unclear as to how the construct demo operates when it is attached to a
SQL database.  It seems that it is not always pulling data from the DB.
Here's the situation...

I altered the 'products' table and added a column called 'media' (I'm using
Postgres).

I added two new products in the 'products' table.

I created a new category by adding it in the "Tables\cat" section of the IC
Admin UI.

For one of the categories, I defined a complex search in the IC UI as
follows:

st=db
fi=products
sf=media
se=VHS

(my intention was to select all the rows where the media is 'VHS' and show
them when the category hyperlink is clicked within the store)

Then I updated the products table in Postgres to set media = 'VHS' for my
two products.

Then I went into construct and clicked on my category, and both products
show up - great!

NOW HERE'S THE PROBLEM. I went back into psql and updated ONE of my
products, this time setting 'media' equal to NULL.

WHEN I GO BACK INTO CONSTRUCT AND CLICK ON THE CATEGORY, BOTH PRODUCTS STILL
SHOW UP, EVEN THOUGH ONLY ONE HAS MEDIA TYPE SET TO VHS??!?

Is IC doing some type of data caching? What would cause this behavior?

Any assistance appreciated.