[ic] Credit Card numbers Stored Encrypted in SQL Database - N o Answer Yet

Webb, Malcolm malcolmw@upshot.com
Wed, 25 Apr 2001 13:00:09 -0700

Hi Dan-

That's true. But then, there is no cost to my customers if they decide to
switch to a competitor.

I understand that there are security issues with storing CC#s in the DB, but
there is no evidence to indicate that consumers will pick a safer site over
one that offers a more convenient buying experience.

If customers know that they do not need to re-enter any info the next time
they come back to your site, that represents a huge competitive advantage
for the merchant.

I'm not sure, but I would bet that most e-commerce packages will offer
"one-click" functionality out-of-the-box within the next year or so (I think
Yahoo! Store may already offer it). That means that to stay competitive,
merchants will need to offer it in their stores.

It's not clear to me why RedHat would care what merchants are storing - I
would bet that there's some type of disclaimer in the IC license that limits
their liability...

Malcolm Webb
Product Manager
UpShot.com