[ic] Tab-delimited text file editor helper

Jon Jensen jon@akopia.com
Thu, 26 Apr 2001 19:42:22 -0500 (CDT)

I've often found it painful editing large tab-delimited text files for
Interchange, especially in products.txt where there are many fields. Yet I
haven't wanted to switch from my beloved text editor, vi. So I wrote a
little front-end processor that temporarily changes a file like this:

sku	title	description	price
10394	Fun Times Abound	This is a really delightful item.	10.75
[etc.]

to this:

sku:10394
title:Fun Times Abound
price:10.75
[etc.]

for purposes of editing. Then when you save the file, it converts it back
the the regular format and replaces the original file.

Feel free to try it out if it might help you:

http://www.akopia.com/~jon/te

The 'te' stands for 'table editor'.

There is embedded documentation in POD format, so just type this for help:

perldoc te

Jon