[ic] sql queries inside perl tag

Dan Browning interchange-users@lists.akopia.com
Wed Aug 1 22:21:01 2001

At 09:50 PM 8/1/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>Forgive me for sounding ignorant, plus I'm coming up on 13 hour work day
>here so there are mis-firing synapses in my head, but where would I place
>perl -W?
>
>I tried switching the line in /usr/local/interchange/bin/interchange
>to read #!/usr/local/bin/perl -W
>
>But I still get the exact same error message in the error.log
>
>I'd like to clarify something.  Your suggesting that I try
>"5,6,7,8"SELECT sun FROM products WHERE code = '[item-code]'"/5,6,7,8"  ???
>

>I think that I've spent more time searching the archives today than
>coding  ;-)
>
>Tchuss

Note from the Interchange-users guidelines:

http://developer2.akopia.com/archive/interchange-users/2001/msg06658.html

  -- Contextual quoting is preferred, i.e.

                 Quoting user1 (<user1@somedomain.redhat.com>):
                 > Some limited text that will give context.

                 Your reply.

     versus

                 Your reply, lazily put at the top.

                 Quoting user1 (<user1@somedomain.redhat.com>):
                 > The whole big blob of the previous posts, including
                 > signatures and all

         In fact, the author of the program stops following a thread
         the moment this lazy quoting method is used. He figures that
         if you can't take half a minute of your time to save multiple
         minutes of the readers time, the heck with ya.

(PS, watch how Linus posts to linux kernel mailing list using the above method)

Good, now that the little quoting matter is out of the way, here is what I
meant (which is useful for anyone doing perl devel):

Copy the code from between [perl][/perl] into a file, then run

$ perl filename

And watch the output.  Of course you will have to remove IC'isms, which is
what I meant by replacing:

[sql]....[/sql] with just your expected results "8,3,5,6".  That way you
can be sure that your code works, and then begin trouble shooting the [sql]
interchange stuff, back within the [perl] blocks.

I hope the last message I sent helps you get through the db
stuff.  Interchange has many good ways to access databases through perl,
which are not only documented in the IC docs, but also in any good perl
reference documentation.

HTH,

Dan Browning, Cyclone Computer Systems, danb@cyclonecomputers.com