[ic] SQL Stored Procedures

Mark Johnson interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Fri Aug 10 11:56:01 2001

"Todd L. Cawthron" wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I'm using Interchange 4.6.5 on RH Linux 6.2 using Sybase ASE 11.03 as the
> database.  I would like to call some database stored procedures from
> Interchange.  I'm not having much luck returning any results and could not
> find any relevant information in the mailing list archives.

This is most likely a combination of issues for IC and DBD::Sybase. The
DBD connectors are not a plug in to the various database client
interfaces. So, whatever extended features that exist in 'isql' (such as
EXECUTE may be) will most likely not be present via the same commands
through DBI. What I would do is, use a simple perl script to connect to
your database directly, and then find out what you have to do to get a
stored procedure to execute from there.

Also, you're going to have trouble if you are trying to return
parameters from stored procedures, as you'd have to use DBI's
bind_param_inout to do it, and IC does not have any built-in support for
that. To use the full capability of DBI, you'll have to use a database
handle in embedded perl (assuming there aren't any Safe gotchas that
stop you). If you are unfamiliar with using Perl to interact with your
database, "Programming the Perl DBI" is a must have.  Well, it's really
a must have even if you are familiar :)

--
Mark Johnson
Senior Systems Architect - Professional Services