[ic] IC 4.8.1 installation docs

Jason Timm interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Wed Aug 15 02:46:05 2001

>Go to:
>
>http://ic.redhat.com/cgi-bin/ic/document.html
>
>Click on left nav under "Documentation":
>
>"Interchange Reference"
>
>Then on that page select the fourth link:
>(Note other docs here also useful)
>
>"Interchange Catalog-Building Tutorial
>   Guided tour through building a very simple
>   catalog from scratch"
>
>Which puts you here:
>
>http://ic.redhat.com/cgi-bin/ic/dev-4.8/iccattut
>
>Which covers installation (Note: looks like covers the new 4.8)

Okay, I will give this up now, but my point was that even at that place in
the docs, all it says is to be sure to install IC before continuing.  It
mentions that you should know what kind of an install you did, etc. but
nowhere does it say what is required to have installed first, the syntax for
installing it, or suggestions for what to input during the install.  For
instance, the old docs say to install Bundle::Interchange, but this is not
mentioned here.  There are many CPAN modules indicated on the download page
which I assume are mandatory.  This would tell me that Bundle::Interchange
is no longer current and because the CPAN module list is comprehensive,
Bundle::Interchange is no longer needed.  I assume that 4.8.1 still needs
Perl 5.6+, but again that is not mentioned anywhere.

I am not trying to be difficult, all I am saying is that there once were
instructions for installing IC, and now there are not.  I did check through
the online docs, but as I said before, there isn't anything there about
installation steps.  The links that people are saying to use do not lead to
any new information...

I will be able to install it just fine I am sure - I was just trying to
point out a possible oversight.  New users may not know exactly what to do
or what is required as we will undoubtedly see on the list at some point.

TTFN

Jason